Saturday, December 27, 2008

Good night... sweet good night girl...



Another year has come to it’s last nights... and it takes away all the chances it came with. It leaves with the moments of love and those sharp pains of disappointment, it fades away with dreams and hopes that never came true and taunts us with the challenges of all the wishes that blow in with the Spring and poured on us with the rain - Destiny is a cruel mistress - treat her right and she will make you a king... a king of sorrow, ignore her and she will dangle all that could be yours but a decision away... avoid her and she’ll send legions of angels to the front lines of the battle fields in your mind. Destiny will catch you no matter what. There is no place you can run and hide to where she will not find you - I know, I have run to the point that I find myself running toward her, and now it is I that must leave so much behind - but she has promised me the world and everything in it... and where will you be? Far from my dreams? Will you have drifted so far that not even the memory of my arms will be able to hold you... will I be forgotten... cast aside as a random thought... a gossamer, floating in the breeze? Will I be washed away with the daylight - just a shadow of your destiny... a drop of rain in a sea of your tears... What will become of me in your memory?
I stroll down the streets of a city I once new so well. I stumble into the ally ways of my youth, and I find myself crawling out of the bordellos on the corner of the abyss and the light of hope... good night strange and lovely creatures who have loved me for an hour or a week... those lips that kissed away the memories of others... and those arms that rocked me to sleep and gave me comfort from the spinning roller coaster driven by Jose Cuervo... good night sweet lovely song birds of the night whose music still linger down the corridors of my crowded mind... so many good nights... I label them and write songs about them and stuff them in envelopes... and send them through the post to a friend on the other side of the world who moved away long ago and never left a forwarding address... who exactly is reading the fragmented pages of an unfinished life... I do not know... What will they say when I have written about my last good night... good night? Perhaps they frame them and hang them on the wall displayed as art... a tribute to love unrequited... love abandoned... love bought and sold... and traded... for another sweet good night... another chance at hope... another chance at destiny... another chance to find a pair of arms that will wrap around you and fit perfectly... fingers that will fall into place between your own as if they have done so for twenty years... lips that know how to breath to the rhythm of your kiss... a tongue that knows how to sway back and forth with the tide of your love. Those pages... perhaps they are stuffed into a shoe box wrapped in ribbons the color of crimson... hidden under some ones bed... some one who waits for the rest of the world to fall asleep and by the soft glow of a candle loosens those bloody ribbons and reads the words I wrote for another in a whisper... that gets picked up by the wind and carries it through the night... a sweet good night... around the world back to my door to echo in my mind in the dark of my room... the whispers of the ghosts that linger... the phantom touch of those seductive fingers... the kiss of the succubus... that torments my nights and robs me of sleep and leaves me at dawn, weak and humble and on my knees... begging for more... to leave me a broken man... beaten and bruised by mad passion in the dark... crumbled and conquered by the punishing lashes of lust... trampled and abused by the hopes of finding the one that will get me through the night... and I remember... we never said good night... my sweet good night girl... good night...

We never said good night


We never said good night when the night comes to an end
we never made any promises to always be friends
we never whispered words we never meant to say
and we never said good night at the beginning of the day

We never held each other without feelings that were never there
we never started kisses that weren’t going anywhere
we never gave up hoping this time it might be real
and we never found a moment that we could not steal

We never said "I love you" - we would never dare
we never tried to hide the truth or not show how much we care
we never played those silly games that many lovers play
and we could never say good bye when the night turns into day

We never said forever - we never looked that far ahead
we never could get past the nights of passion in our bed
we never could let go of all the kisses that we never gave
and we never forgot the I.O.U.'s for the love we never made

We never said good morning at the beginning of the day
we never planned out the moments we went our separate ways
we never held each other tight the night it came to an end
and we never said good night when the night fell upon us once again.


Dash.

5 comments:

Shupe said...

wow-

er- the poem- you read my mind-
Odd- how people can feel the same way about situations that neither of us could/have/ever talked about.

dash deringer said...

Shupe... now I have to know...and the poem... keep it, it's yours now.

Lena Wayback said...

Brilliance! Sheer brilliance, Dash.

Shupe said...

Long story-
In short-
You took my thoughts- and placed them here-

Hot for Cruela Eh?
LOL!

Chef E said...

Wonderful...